Red Deer Firefighters Association, Local 1190

Red Deer Firefighters Association, Local 1190 > History

History


Fire Department History

It was 1904 when a formal fire brigade consisting of a captain and 15 firemen were mandated by the city of Red Deer.  A horse drawn chemical engine and  gasoline fire truck were housed adjacent to the city cells in the Town Square.

On January 7, 1955, Red Deer Fire Fighters received their charter by the IAFF. Eight members, including Fire Chief Bill Thomlison, became charter members and this was the beginning of Local 1190.

In the early 1960’s our members were part of one of the first 911 call centers in Canada. The dispatchers provide call intake as well as Fire and Emergency Medical Services dispatch for Red Deer and Central Alberta.

In 1960, firefighters took on a new role as they started running on the ambulance which was transitioned from funeral home to firehall. The service then progressed from Firefighter/Emergency Medical Technician to Firefighter/Paramedics in 1985 with the implementation of Advanced Life Support.

On April 1, 2009 Alberta Health Services took over governance, funding and administration of ambulance service in the province. RDES was awarded the contract to contine providing both Dispatch and Emergency Medical Services for Red Deer, using five ambulances, staffed 24/7. RDES will continue to provide the additional resource of an Advanced Life Support fire engine response for seriously injured or ill patients.

Today, our members truly provide cross trained/multi-role service from fire suppression/ A.L.S. duties to rescue and  hazmat response.  Local 1190 members are actively working in fire prevention and life safety education, arson investigation, mechanical services as well as staffing  the 9-1-1 Fire and EMS Emergency Call center.


bronto-1

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR
RSS FEEDS

rss NEWS RSS Feed
News Email Subscription



rss SPORTS RSS Feed
Sports Email Subscription



ALL PAST ARCHIVES